|Louisiana's Cajun cooking is well known for its traditional use of bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes. Add spicy turkey--not pork--sausage and some additional fire in the form of both chili powder and hot sauce (preferably from Louisiana) and you have a delicious lip-smacking sauce for spaghetti.
1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the turkey sausage and cook five minutes or until browned all over. Transfer to a plate and cover loosely to keep warm.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound spicy turkey sausage, cut into eight pieces
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, chopped with their juice
- 1 can (8 ounces) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces corn spaghetti
2. Add chili powder, paprika, and oregano to skillet, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about one minute. Stir in garlic and cook 30 seconds.
3. Add onion and stir to coat with spices. Add water and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened, about seven minutes.
4. Stir in red and green bell peppers and cook until crisp-tender, about four minutes.
5. Stir in stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt, black pepper, and turkey sausages. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until flavors have come together and sausage is cooked through, about five minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
6. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and toss with sausage and pepper mixture. Per serving: 488 calories, 12g total fat, 4.9g saturated fat, 5.3g monounsaturated fat, 5.3g polyunsaturated fat, 12g dietary fiber, 23g protein, 62g carbohydrate, 136mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium.
Good source of: beta-carotene, fiber, lycopene, magnesium, potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, zinc.